Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Linen Spray

I am pretty new to aromatherapy.  Or, perhaps I should say, I am pretty new to using essential oils correctly for aromatherapy.  I spent too long using them the wrong way, taking no time to consider possible side effects, contraindications, etc.

When I decided to extend my knowledge base of essential oils and learn how to use them properly, one of the first things I wanted to accomplish to find an alternative way to treat my allergies which trigger my asthma.

Several months back I was introduced to Blue Tansy (Tanacetum annuum) as a means to deal with allergy flare ups.  I decide to experiment by using it in an aroma-inhaler and had a lot of success with dealing with my allergies through the day.  The one problem I had was waking up congested, with itchy, irritated eyes.  I was not about to wake up during the night to use my aroma-inhaler so I wanted to come up with something I could use just before bed that would carry through to morning.

One morning, I was reading a blog post on linen sprays written by a friend who is a certified aromatherapist and became inspired to create a linen spray that would put an end to night time allergy issues and help me sleep.  The following recipe is what I came up with...


It has worked so well for me that I gave it (along with an aroma-inhaler) to my dad to help with his allergies and ihe noticed an immediate difference.  Since then, I've shared it on a few Facebook groups I participate in geared towards aromatherapy and several people have come back and told me how much success they've had with it.

How it works --
  •  Green Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) is high in monoterpenes which are known for being effective airborne deodorizers and respiratory decongestants.  Green Mandarin is also known for its sedative properties.  
  • Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has a long, documented history of helping with sleep and decreasing stress which makes it great for any kind of night time sleep blend.  Lavender is high in esters and monoterpenols.  Esters are known for their anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and sedative capabilities.  Esters are also adaptogenic which is why Lavender helps the body deal with stress.  Monoterpenols are also antispasmodic and have been shown to help with immune boosting.
  • Cedarwood (Cedrus deodara) has anti-inflammatory properties.  It is also a mucolytic, meaning it works to break down mucous.
  • Blue Tansy (Tanacetum annuum) contains a number of ketones and monoterpenes.  It's therapeutic actions include being an immune stimulant, being anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and a mucolytic.
Another bonus to these (and most essential oils) essential oils is that they all have anti-septic, antiviral and bactericidal properties.

*If you would like to learn more about chemical constituents in essential oils, check out the chemical family page on Aromatics International.*

How I use it --

I use my spray nightly.  Before getting into bed, I spray down the pillows and linens.  I also spray the curtains right next to my side of the bed just to be on the safe side.  :-)


If you give this linen spray a try, let me know how it works for you in the comments below!  :-D

Have a wonderful day!




As always - I am sharing with you things that have worked for my family and friends. While I am passionate about herbalism, natural health and aromatherapy, I am NOT a trained professional.  I am not here to diagnose or as a substitute for your primary care provider (PCP).  You should discuss all natural treatments with your PCP.  


No comments:

Post a Comment