Thursday, September 25, 2014

Adventures in Kombucha

In a continued effort to boost the overall health of the family, I got the bright idea to try my hand at Kombucha.

If you aren't familiar with Kombucha, check out this article from Food Renegade.

After researching the pros and cons of making kombucha at home versus purchasing pre-bottled kombucha, I bought this kit through Amazon.


 After about a week and a half my kombucha looked like this


and it tasted like lemon tea.  

I wasn't sure if it had gone bad or not so I sought out the advice of friends who have way more experience than I do.  It was decided to give it a few days, taste it again and bottle it.

Things seemed to be going well.  After three days, all of the sugar taste was gone so I bottled it but it never carbonated and then the SCOBY started getting weird.

 

Long and short, I ruined my scoby.  I have NO IDEA what I did wrong.  :-(  The only thing I can think of is maybe it had something to do with only getting a small piece of SCOBY in the kit, rather than a whole one.

I want to try it again but I think next time I will see if I can convince one of my friends to give me a SCOBY rather than buying another kit.

So, all you Kombucha aficionados out there if you have any ideas on how I messed up something that seemed super easy, let me know in the comments!

Have a great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment